Shed Tears of Relief with Dry Eye Therapy
If you think you might have dry eyes, contact our practice for help. We’ll diagnose the problem and help you find meaningful relief for your symptoms.
What Causes Dry Eyes?
Dry eyes happen when your tears can’t provide sufficient lubrication for your eyes. This normally occurs for one of two reasons: either your eyes don’t produce enough tears, or the tears they produce are poor quality.
Dry eye risk factors include:
- Being over 50 years old
- Hormonal changes due to pregnancy or menopause
- Taking antihistamines
- Having certain vascular diseases
- Taking postmenopausal estrogen treatments
- Having corneal surgery
- Having hepatitis C
- Having an androgen insufficiency
- Exposure to radiation
- Vitamin A deficiency
- Receiving stem cell therapies
- Taking specific medications (including antidepressants and SSRIs)
Common Dry Eye Symptoms
- A burning sensation in or near the eyes
- The feeling that an object is stuck or lodged in the eye (foreign body sensation)
- Excessive eye watering
- Eye redness
- Severe eye fatigue
- Severe itching in the eyes
Finding Help For Dry Eyes
Rancho Santa Margarita Optometry offers multiple therapies for dry eyes. Our methods may include:
- Artificial tears: Various lubricating eye drops hydrate the eye’s surface and have been shown to potentially reduce many dry eye symptoms.
- Steroids: Studies show that some topical steroids with anti-inflammatory properties can significantly alleviate dry eye symptoms. These steroids may even be effective for severe cases of dry eyes.
- Punctal Plugs: Inserting small plugs into your tear ducts can stop your tears from draining too fast, and help reduce dry eye symptoms when used with topical treatments.
- Heat Masks: Bruder masks and similar products use gentle heat to reduce inflammation associated with dry eyes. Many of these masks can be used at home without supervision once we show you how at our practice.
- Scleral Lenses: These lenses create a reservoir over the cornea that can be filled with saline solution to hydrate the eyes during use. If dry eyes prevent you from wearing other types of contact lenses, scleral lenses may be the answer.
- Eyelid-Cleansing Wipes: These products can promote the efficacy of other dry eye therapies. We carry eyelid-safe cleansing wipes from many leading brands.
Find Dry Eye Relief Today
If you’ve experienced symptoms of dry eyes, contact our practice. We’ll find out whether you’re suffering from dry eyes or a different condition, and recommend the appropriate treatments for you.
Our Location in Rancho Santa Margarita
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Tuesday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Thursday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed