Is Screen Time Causing You Eye Fatigue?
Long periods of staring at screens can make your eyes feel sore and tired. These could be the signs of digital eye strain (DES).
DES can affect anyone, but people with vision problems can experience extra hardship. At Rancho Santa Margarita, we can help you prevent DES and show you how to give your eyes a break from its symptoms.
Common Digital Eye Strain Symptoms
Causes of Digital Eye Strain
Reduced Blink Rate
When we’re staring at computer screens or other digital devices, we tend to blink less often, which can contribute to eye fatigue. The muscles that focus our eyes get tired and stiff when we overwork them—just like any other muscle in the body.
Most digital displays emit blue light, which exists naturally in the sun’s rays. While blue light has not been proven to contribute to eye disease, it can disrupt your circadian rhythms and potentially impact your sleeping habits, contributing to feelings of fatigue.
Dealing with Digital Eye Strain
If you’re experiencing signs of DES, we might recommend:
- Using the 20-20-20 rule to give your eyes regular breaks from screens. Every 20 minutes, focus your eyes on an object approximately 20 feet away for 20 seconds. This can “reset” the muscles that focus your eyes by giving them a well-deserved rest.
- Using specialty eyewear to filter out blue light from your devices. Computer vision glasses may improve sleep habits for people who regularly stare at screens before bedtime. Talk to our opticians about finding the right eyewear for you.
Using screens doesn’t mean you have to suffer from DES. Just contact us to find out more about protecting your eyes from fatigue and discomfort.
Our Location in Rancho Santa Margarita
Where Can I Find You?
Our practice is located inside the Tomas Professional Center, just across the street from Penske Truck Rental and SoCal Self Storage.
- 30212 Tomas, Suite #170
- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Tuesday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Thursday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Friday: 8:30 AM – 5:30 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed